BS EN 62305-1:2011 Protection against lightning – Part 1 General principles
BS EN 62305-1:2011
Protection against lightning
Part 1: General principles
The text of document 81/370/FDIS, future edition 2 of IEC 62305-1, prepared by IEC TC 81, Lightning protection, was submitted to the IEC-CENELEC parallel vote and was approved by CENELEC as EN 62305-1 on 2011-01-13.
This European Standard supersedes EN 62305-1:2006+corr.Nov.2006.
This EN 62305-1:2011 includes the following significant technical changes with respect to EN 62305-1:2006 + corr. Nov. 2006:
1) It no longer covers protection of services connected to structures.
2) Isolated interfaces are introduced as protection measures to reduce failure of electric and electronic systems.
3) First negative impulse current is introduced as a new lightning parameter for calculation purposes.
4) Expected surge overcurrents due to lightning flashes have been more accurately specified for low voltage power systems and for telecommunication systems.
Attention is drawn to the possibility that some f the elements of this document may be the subject of patent rights. CEN and CENELEC shall not be held responsible for identifying any or all such patent rights.
The following dates were fixed:
– latest date by which the EN has to be implemented
at national level by publication of an identical
national standard or by endorsement (dop) 2011-10-13
– latest date by which the national standards conflicting
with the EN have to be withdrawn (dow) 2014-01-13
Annex ZA has been added by CENELEC.
The text of the International Standard IEC 62305-1:2010 was approved by CENELEC as a European Standard without any modification.
In the official version, for Bibliography, the following notes have to be added for the standards indicated:
 IEC 60664-1:2007 NOTE Harmonized as EN 60664-1:2007(not modified).
 IEC 61000-4-5 NOTE Harmonized as EN 61000-4-5.
 IEC 61643-1 NOTE Harmonized as EN 61643-11.
 IEC 61643-21 NOTE Harmonized as EN 61643-21.